Cant Read Hard Drive

Professor Plum 17:30 24 Dec 03

I was resizing a partition using Partition Magic, computer locked up 1/3 the
way through. Now windows does not recognise the drive at all, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

[Partition magic recognises the disk as does Windows disk management utility]

[running xp]

[no backup,(I know, I know)]

deltaflyer 17:54 24 Dec 03

have you tried the partition repair tool that comes with partition magic? might sort it otherwise try repartitioning it.are you using version 8? any versions below 8 are not compatible with xp

lodger 17:56 24 Dec 03

Like when your shoe laces are completely knotted, the preceived wisdom here is to firstly undo everything you did, ..then start again....

leo49 19:16 24 Dec 03

Actually PM7 is XP compatible - it came out in August 2001.

zanwalk 22:54 24 Dec 03

Further to leo49's comment, I use PM5 (from floppies) with XP. It's just that the early versions won't actually install to XP.

Professor Plum 23:07 24 Dec 03

I am using PM 8

Trying to do anything with it in PM gives me the following error "Required file attribute missing".

No undo's available.

The files and folders are readable in PM file browser!

zanwalk 23:24 24 Dec 03

One option would be to install the Hard Disk as slave in another PC, and then transfer all data/settings needed. The drive could then be formatted and XP reinstalled.

This is a salutory tale and should be a warning to anyone contemplating any operations like partitioning to back up important data first!

Professor Plum 23:33 24 Dec 03

The hard disk in question is a slave drive, the trouble is there's 50 Gigs of stuff on it, The only way I can or could of backed it up is to buy a new hard drive, and do a recovery, which seems to be the only option I have now (unless Santa brings me one tonight;-)

zanwalk 23:40 24 Dec 03

Wow, that's some data. I think a new HD is a definite necessity, and possibly a new backup regime....

Taran 23:41 24 Dec 03

Once Partiton Magic goes wrong like this, I've never yet come across a reliable method for reinstating your data. Some things work, most things don't and my rule of thumb is if I waste more than an hour or two unsuccessfully fighting with a system I format and start again.

Perhaps someone may have a reliable solution for you, but part of the problem with Partition Magic is that it can effectively erase your partitions and/or file system when performing operations that go wrong, and at the very least the boot sector gets very heavily altered to allow you to use the new or resized partitions.

You could try to restore or fix the MBR of the hard drive, which may or may not work.

click here

click here

Beyond that, you may well have to start from scratch.

Good luck with it.

regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…