Can't read DVDs

Remy Martin 16:34 11 Jul 04

I have a Samsung SD-616Q DVD-Rom drive. It no longer recognises DVDs, whether DVD-Video or DVD-Rom. It works perfectly with all types of CD.
I don't think there is a problem with the driver. I have used a CD Lens Cleaner to no effect.
Is the problem likely to be software related or a fault with the drive itself?
Any help appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 16:48 11 Jul 04

The laser for DVD is different to the one for CD; hence it can work with one media and not another.

Is it recognised as DVD drive at boot up / in device manager?

Remy Martin 17:20 11 Jul 04

The device is recognised OK. I was thinking of upgrading to a DVD-writer anyway, so this has just given me the necessary impetus I suppose.

Stuartli 17:27 11 Jul 04

There are normally two lasers in a DVD-ROM drive as the laser wavelengths are different for CD and DVDs.

As Diodorus Siculus infers, the DVD laser may well have made its last pit stop...:-)

But if you do get a DVD rewriter, get a DVD-ROM drive as well; only use the rewriter for burning purposes and the ROM drive for installing software, listening to audio, watching DVDs etc.

It will prove far more robust than a rewriter and you will get the best lifespan from the latter as a result.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…