Can't reach webpages

kiz 07:35 17 Apr 04

For the last week, I have been unable to get any web pages although I can log on to my ISP OK. When I enter a webpage in the address bar, it never loads and eventually I get the standard can't display page. I also can't download updates from Norton AV, so it is not my IE6 connections. I have done a repair of that (from Ad/Remove) to be sure. I have also signed up to another ISP to check it wasn't them but the same problem occurred. I have done a modem check and this has passd OK.
I also noticed that when I was trying to reach webpages with a couple of browser pages open, my mouse went haywire and couldnt be controlled. As soon as I closed the browser, it returned to normal.
Any ideas, please.

MichelleC 08:26 17 Apr 04

Are you dialup or b/b and what os? May be worth running spyware removers like Adaware etc.

Diodorus Siculus 08:26 17 Apr 04

Do you have any sort of firewall installed? If so, disable it for a time and see if you can get access.

Also, try another browser: Mozilla FireFox is an excellent (free) option.

kiz 09:44 17 Apr 04

I am dial up and I do not have a firewall (I know I should!)I will install another browser but can't download it so will have to look for one on a free disc from some mag. I'll let you know in due course.
Someone has suggested it could just be my landline (BT) which is faulty? Is this a possibility?

kiz 09:50 17 Apr 04

MichelleC
I dont have any adware installed - could spyware make this happen?
Actually I should come clean and say this isn't my computer but this post is for a friend who is not very computerwise - hence no firewall, adware etc.

kiz 09:52 17 Apr 04

Sorry I should also have said Win ME. I have tried to do a system restore for him but after reboot, the window says the restore was not successful. Is this any help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…