can't re-stall xp pro

slminter 20:38 09 Aug 04

I have been given a laptop by my brother. As he as lost the password, I have being trying to re-install xp pro. I have changed the boot order in the bios to cd-rom at the top but it dosen't seem to works and keeps going to the log in screen. I am puzzled please help?

jonnytub 20:45 09 Aug 04

do you have to press a button to boot from cd. you do on mine just incase the same applies mine is F2

slminter 21:16 09 Aug 04

f2 just starts up the bios. Could it be that i am trying to install windows me first then the xp upgrade? Would it make a differnce?

jonnytub 21:36 09 Aug 04

If it's an xp upgrade version then you need to have an older os such as you win me to upgrade and install over. What is the current Os at this moment in time??? If it's winme then you need to find out what button you press to boot from cd (try c). If it's xp then you need to format, install win me then upgrade to xp.

slminter 21:49 09 Aug 04

the current system is xp pro. How can I format if i can't login?

jonnytub 21:56 09 Aug 04

you don't need to login, but you do need to find out what button press enables the "boot from Cd-rom" feature. what laptop is it???

woodchip 21:58 09 Aug 04

Have you tried getting into the Computer through safe mode? Keep pressing F8 as the computer is starting

woodchip 22:01 09 Aug 04

Or check this out click here

slminter 22:13 09 Aug 04

the laptop is a viglen dossier ns+

jonnytub 22:18 09 Aug 04

was your brother a teacher by any chance???

slminter 22:20 09 Aug 04

Yes he is a lecturer!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…