Can't re-import backed up emails!?

Happy37 12:37 04 Jul 05

Thanks again for the replies to my previous post -the reinstall has fixed the problems with regards to Windows Updates, yet I have another problem
that I can't sort out by myself and I'll need some help.

This is what's happened-:

I said before that I've since formatted the PC, and have put Windows XP Pro back on there.

Yesterday, I went to my "saved" emails location in a folder on my D:\ drive to re-import my emails back into Outlook Express, or so I thought.

This is so that I can put my old emails back before downloading the new ones that I have waiting for me at present.

I went to carry out the Import in Outlook Express and got this error message: -

"No messages can be found in this folder or another application is running that has the required files open.
Please select another folder or try closing applications that may have files open."

The messages are there in the folder on the other hard drive!!! - I can see them in Windows Explorer. I can't see what the problem is as I've
always imported messages and contacts by using the Import command in Outlook Express and carried out the Import from the folder on the D:\ drive
back to the C:\ drive.

Do you have any ideas as to what is going on - I really need to get my messages back as there are some important work emails within these messages
that I need to access.

Please reply at your earliest convenience as I'm really desperate as I don't know where to go without having the old emails back on my PC in the first place.

How do I go about getting the emails back, and could you also tell me what the best solution is to back up the messages so that it possibly won't happen again - how can I avoid this happening again?

Thanks for your help.

VoG II 12:59 04 Jul 05
  Happy37 13:27 04 Jul 05

Thanks for the reply - I'll try this and let you know how I get on.

Happy37 09:26 05 Jul 05

I followed all the steps in Microsoft KB articles 252603 and 295965.

I had to rename the Folders.dbx folder - this caused a rebuild of this folder and then I rebooted.

I went back into Outlook Express to re-do the Import and it all worked fine - all my messages are there, and thankfully, I haven't lost anything, so thanks for all your advice.

I think that I’ll also delete a lot of old messages that I no longer need as I think that Outlook Express can only cope with a certain number of messages – is this correct?

VoG II 09:58 05 Jul 05

I'm not sure how many messages OE can cope with (it will be the number of MB rather than the number of messages I think). You can compress old messages using:

File | Folder | Compact all folders

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…