Can't publish with FP2000

MichelleC 16:05 16 Nov 04

I'm trying to republish site with FTP (as site hasn't got extensions enabled). Never had probs before. It goes thro the motions with with the box indicating pages being transfered etc, but comes up with the error:

"Could not find a web server at click here on port 21. Please check to make sure that the web server name is valid and your proxy settings are set correctly. If you are sure that everything is correct, the web server may be temporarily out of service."

Have requested help from isp but all they could come up with was try reinstalling FP extensions (presumabely on the site but they're not enabled anyway). I've 'repaired' Fp and clean reinstalled. I've also repaired w2k etc and installed every networking update.

Forum Editor 23:02 16 Nov 04

is usually the result of trying to publish from behind a firewall, or from a corporate network.

FrontPage needs to establish a two-way dialogue with an FTP server before it can publish files. In actual fact, FrontPage makes only one connection, and that doesn't permit file publishing. The FTP server makes a second connection back to FrontPage, and this is the one that allows you to write to the server directories. If you are behind a firewall it may (almost certainly will) prevent the FTP server from establishing the inbound connection - that's its purpose in life after all - and you'll get an error message.

The same thing will happen if you are publishing from a corporate network via an HTTP proxy server, and in this case you'll need to talk to your network administrator about an FTP gateway. If your network has a gateway installed you'll need to make some configuration changes:-

1. Open Control Panel.

2. Double-click Internet Options.

3. Click the Connections tab.

4. Click LAN Settings.

5. Click Advanced.

6. In the FTP and Port boxes, specify the protocol, the FTP server location, and the port number, for example:
click here server location:21

This isn't the place for a long discourse on FTP publishing from LANs however, and in any case I suspect that isn't your situation......my money's on the firewall solution. One thing you can try is to select the option (in FP) to publish via a Passive FTP connection - this means that there'll only be one connection to the server, which will allow you to write to the directories.

MichelleC 11:15 18 Nov 04

Thanks for reply FE.

I'm not sure what protocol or FTP server info to enter.

BTW I can't use your link as error says windows cannot access this folder.

MichelleC 11:46 18 Nov 04

Sorted! It was the firewall. I think the network settings must have changed when
M$ for w2k did a recent SP1 for Net Framework. Cheers.

Lord Isleworth 14:27 18 Nov 04

Michelle C - does your host allow frontpage extensions, At present I publish using frontpage 2000 and because the host has frontpage extensions installed, it's as easy as file/publish and give a username and password from the host, v quick fix to the problem and relatively hassle free.

Forum Editor 17:15 18 Nov 04

I'm glad the problem's solved.

I'm sorry about that link........you're not meant to follow it - the forum code created a hyperlink as soon as it saw the ftp : and the backslashes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…