Cant print across two computer network

Alf58 23:02 01 Jul 05

I have just purchased a new PC for my daughter and networked it to my machine via a four port hub using a wired LAN connection. My machine runs Win XP Pro and my daughters machine is XP Home Edition. I used Windows Small home office network Wizard on both machines. Everything is fine EXCEPT whatever I try, the new computer cannot print from the printer attached to my computer (Lexmark Z54). Both machines can see each other and share each others files. The new machine connects to the internet via my machine no problem. The Windows firewall on both machines is set to enable printer and file sharing a third party firewall is not used. I really am not sure where to turn. I spent quite a few quid on my daughters setup and I cant even print!!! I am rather fed up. Anyone got any bright ideas?

mgmcc 23:12 01 Jul 05

1) Connect the printer to the “client” PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client’s "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the “client”. This means that the “client” now has the same printer installed twice – once as a “local” printer and again as a “network” printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid.

click here

Alf58 23:19 01 Jul 05

Hmm I'll try your idea tomorrow. I just thought WIN Xp was meant to avoid all this hassle. By the way the client can "see" the Lexmark and it is set as default but as soon as I try to print test page Windows immediately (less than a second) tells me it is unable to print test page and points me to the printing trouble shooter which of course is unable to solve the problem. If I try to print from a document in the client machine nothing happens at all, not even an hour glass.

sidecar sid 23:30 01 Jul 05

This guide may help

click here

Alf58 00:16 02 Jul 05

Thanks for help guys. I solved the prob. For some reason the Xp Pro edition was calling the Printer "Printer" on the network and the Win Home edition was calling it Lexmark Z54. When I changed the name on the host computer it all worked. Thanks again for your noble efforts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…