Can't play DVD's on the TV

Fateful Shadow 15:29 18 Jun 04

As the thread says, I can't get my laptop to play DVD's on the TV. The image appears on my laptop, but not on the TV. I have been through *!@:less diagnostics but to no conclusion, excpet that they were all useless :P

Any ideas what I can do? Thanks :)

johnnyrocker 15:32 18 Jun 04

what method are you using to connect to the television and what graphics card do you have?

johnny.

Fateful Shadow 15:36 18 Jun 04

I'm using an s-video/s-vhs connection and the graphics card is an ATI Radeon Mobility 340M. I'm using WinXP if that's any help.

Newuser4165 16:14 18 Jun 04

Make sure you are toggling the output of the video card correctly.Laptops usually use a combination of Fn and one of the function keys such as F5 to rotate the output between the 2 screens.Look for the function key that has 2 screens on it - or you could try reading the instruction manual.

hugh-265156 00:36 19 Jun 04

are you using clone mode or extended desktop? im guessing the latter.

if using extended desktop(extend my windows desktop to this monitor):

first play your dvd on your monitor, window it and then drag it across to the tv screen while its playing and then right click it on the tv screen and maxamize it again.

if using clone mode both screens display the same thing.

Fateful Shadow 18:46 19 Jun 04

I've tried the function keys, but it still won't work, and it's actually a clone huggyg71. It's the same on my laptop as it is on the TV.

Any other ideas? Thanks :)

stoner 22:04 19 Jun 04

Hey Fateful Shadow, had the same problem myself and after much research have concluded that without a yellow composite connection on both laptop and tv it is not worth trying to get a S-vhs signal to a TV. It is possible, but the picture is not good enough without expensive electronic signal modulators to make it worthwhile. Most laptops nowadays don't have yellow composite connection just the 15 pin D plug which is not suitable for TV connection!! Sorry!

If anyone else out there has any better information I would be grateful for it myself.

hugh-265156 17:41 20 Jun 04

are you saying that you can get the windows desktop displayed on the tv screen using clone mode but when you play a dvd it only shows on the laptop monitor?

its nothing to do with svideo or composite leads if you can see the desktop displayed on the tv.

im not using an ati card anymore so i cant actualy check this sorry but im guessing display/settings/advanced/overlay/clone mode options and setting as 'same on all' or 'theatre mode full screen' may help here.

also click the displays tab and make sure the little 'on button' to the top right of the tv is green and the two little screens tab at the left is selected also.

hugh-265156 17:46 20 Jun 04

see '1' click here and its to the right not left as i said above for the two little windows tab sorry.

and click here for same on all or theatre mode overlay options.

Dorsai 18:07 20 Jun 04

This may be a really daft and irrelivent posting, but make sure the output signal suits your tv.

There is NTCS for USA and PAL for UK. if your card output is wrong signal type for the TV the TV may just ignore it.

Also My TV-out Card requires 'turning on' when it's connected to the TV. Too much hassle, bought a £40 argos DVD player.

Fateful Shadow 18:38 20 Jun 04

My laptop isn't connected to the TV at the mo, but I'm finishing my exams tomorrow so I'll have a load of time to figure it out. Thanks for all the posts :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…