Can't play DVD

stlucia 20:12 07 Mar 09

I've just tried to play a DVD that came with a model helicopter. I get the usual "What do you want to do?" message when I put the DVD in, but when I click on Play the DVD I get an error message as follows:-

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because a compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer."

How do I know what decoder will be "compatible"? When I click on web help it just gives me a list of commercial DVD players like Roxio -- I thought Windows Media Play was supposed to play (but not record or edit) just about anything.

Is there any free software that will help me, please? My system is Windows XP with all updates, and the DVD contains a couple of directories with a few very small files and one large (609Mb) .VOB file.

MAT ALAN 20:14 07 Mar 09

click here

download the K-Lite codec pack it'll play beer mats for ya...

eedcam 22:26 07 Mar 09

If you are in doubt about going the codec way just install VLC player its free and Will play just about anything
click here

stlucia 08:17 08 Mar 09

Don't know about beer mats, Mat, but it plays my DVD okay! Thanks.

One small strange thing though; I selected the option to associate with Windows Media Player when installing it, but it only plays sound when I try to use WMP to play the DVD. But there's now another option when I put the DVD in -- to play it using Media Player Classic -- and that's what works fine.

Thanks for the alternative option, eedcam.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…