Can't ping or browse via connected wireless!

Evault 14:42 28 May 06

Hi,

I had to get my home laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-FS115B) all reconfigured since I had to install a new hardrive. Before I had Windows XP home package, now I have Windows XP Pro (2003) SP2 and my wireless doesn't work anymore.

I can see all wireless network in my area as well as my secure one and I can connect to any of them "Wireless Network Connection is now connected". But problem is that I can't browse the web and can't even ping my wireless router IP address!!! I know wireless router is fine as I can browse via ethernet cable connection or via another wireless laptop we have at home.

As anyone got any idea.

May I have wrongly installed XP SP2? I have disabled firewalls... but still same issue. Looks like it is connected but doesn't work.

Hope anyone had same issue. May be a port is blocked or needs to be enabled, or I need to get a patch installed?

Many thanks in advance.

mgmcc 15:33 28 May 06

Has the "Wireless Network Connection" got its correct IP address from the router?

Evault 16:24 28 May 06

Hi,

Thanks for speedy reply. As I browsing through that forum I bumped onto similar issue and it was recommended to do following and it worked!!!! I can't believe my luck. Now I have DHCP enabled on wireless link and proper ip addresses. Indeed, ip addresses were not correct ones for wireless connections before and DHCP said NO under ipconfig/all at first.

I have restarted the laptop and worked fine first time, I'm back to wireless word!! Many thanks.

What i did:

"Open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK). At the prompt, type:

netsh interface ip reset resetlog.txt

and press Enter (note the spaces in the command line). The original prompt will reappear, exit the Command Prompt window and reboot the PC."

Evault 16:39 28 May 06

Basically I have reset "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in Windows Server 2003, thanks to that magic command!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac