Can't pick up Hotmail emails

pj123 12:13 23 Jun 05

Have a friend who has two computers (his and hers) both on Broadband via a wireless router.

He can't pick up or view or answer any emails on his Hotmail account on "his" PC. But he can access them on "hers". This all started when he uninstalled Norton Internet Security (because of problems). See this thread: click here

His normal access to the internet is OK.

Both PCs running Win 98SE.

octal 12:31 23 Jun 05

Are they picking up their emails via an email client or via the web site?

pj123 12:58 23 Jun 05

As far as I know they have hotmail. com as one of their favourites so, yes I assume they just click on that from their home page.

octal 13:09 23 Jun 05

OK at this stage I'm guessing because I don't know how Norton's works or not as the case maybe, I'm wondering if Norton has dropped something into his hosts file to block access, its easy enough to check by going to C:\WINDOWS and look for hosts, there's no extension to it, and add txt to it so you've got hosts.txt and see if access can be gained. If that doesn't work just rename it back again.

I didn't ask what the error he is getting, if its 'Page can't be found' then the above might help.

wee eddie 13:11 23 Jun 05

He is trying to access Hotmail through Outlook Express or Outlook.

She is accessing direct via Hotmail.com

retep888 14:23 23 Jun 05

What firewall is he using now after he ditched NIS?

Is he getting "This page has no data" and the timeout problem?

If so,I suspect it was his firewall which caused this saga,he might have to put MSN Hotmail into the trusted zone.

HTH

Peter

pj123 16:25 23 Jun 05

Thanks for all the help everyone. Seems we have solved it now, due to a download from the associated thread (link above). Norton has now gone forever. No more error messages and he can now access his emails OK. He now has AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and Zone Alarm installed. He is now a happy bunny.

I will close this thread and the other one as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…