Can't Perform 'Repair' On XP Pro Installation.

Box Car 10:08 15 May 03

I wish to do a 'Repair' on my Windows XP installation as outlined click here;en-us;315341 & on this forum. However when I booted the Pc from Cd the screen that usually gives the option to Repair or Reinstall etc there was no Repair option, the only the option is to reformat set partitions up and then on the next screen to delete the windows folders. I have used the option to Repair in the past without problem. I decided to try as on the Microsoft page & to run Set-up from within Windows and try the upgrade option, this after rebooting led me to a screen where Windows informed me it couldn?t find a Windows Installation to upgrade & 'contact my administrator' ? Me.
I have checked my Boot.ini & it appears to be in order, has anyone else had this issue, I don't really want to format & reinstall at the moment for lack of time. (XP Pro\Athlon 2000XP/ 1 Gig Ram/15Gig Space free on C:\).

Box Car 10:10 15 May 03

sorry about the link this is what I did : >> onfigure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive (Boot from CD). Insert your Windows XP CD (Your XP Licence key will be required at some point), restart the computer. When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do NOT choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup. <<

AndySD 10:18 15 May 03

This procedure is not used to do a repair instalation. Set the bios to boot from the cd (or use the 6 boot floppies)and reboot with the xp cd in the drive choose setup then F* to accept the agreement ....you will get the Repair option now.

Box Car 10:37 15 May 03

Thanks for that Andy, I still do not get repair, my conclusion is that the file(s) that Setup looks for in Windows (I assume) is either damaged or corrupted, & therefore defaults to a fresh installation.

AndySD 10:42 15 May 03

Can you still boot into Windows... if so try using System Restore then go for the repair installation.

Box Car 12:58 15 May 03

Could it be my 'boot.ini'?

AndySD 13:08 15 May 03

Yes.... can you copy and paste it here

Box Car 18:14 15 May 03

There was a 'P' missing off XP in boot.ini. Thanks Andy for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…