Can't overburn with Nero 5.5 or 6.

oo7juk 14:56 27 Sep 03

Hi, hope someone can help.

I am trying to burn a data file, the file is 716mb in size and the cdr is 705mb. When I try to use the overburn option Nero just spits the cdr out saying that the medium is too small. Even when I use a 99min cdr it still does the same. Is it something to do with the type of data? Any advise would be most appreciated, thanks.

Blix 15:09 27 Sep 03

what sort of data file is it?...bin, iso...???

-pops- 15:17 27 Sep 03

You would be better splitting your file.

I understand that overburning (even if you could manage it) can cause irrevocable damage to your CD writer.

bremner 15:21 27 Sep 03

click here it tells you about Overburning and the dangers

WiLL-A 15:22 27 Sep 03

I have overburnt a number of times to 99min CDRs with Nero. You can only do this in DAO (Disc At Once) mode. Make sure this is enabled and you should be fine.

But remember what others have said in that it can reduce the lifespan of your Cd-ReWriter. My drive is a Philips PCRW 1610A and has never had any problems when doing this. Also depending on how old your drive is it may not be capable of overburing.

oo7juk 18:51 27 Sep 03

Blix, it's a windows video clip (aka Divx rip).

Guys, I have heard of the dangers in relation to overburn, but most DVD rips are more than 700mb in size, so how does everybody else do it?
Pops, How do u split data files?

Many thanks for your advise, look forward to your replies.

Smiler 19:05 27 Sep 03

If you follow bremer link there is a section on oversizing cd writers. Not all cd writers are capable of overwriting and yours may be one of them. Here is an extract from the link above:-

# Common CD-Writers like the Philips CDD2000/2600/3610 & HP4020/6020/71x0/72x0/81x0 do NOT support OverSizing and only partly support 80 minutes CD-R's.
# The Philips CDD36x0 & HP7x00 seem mechanically able to OverSize a CD-R but the firmware will shut off the laser at about 75:00 minutes, when the maximum playtime is passed, resulting in a useless copy!
# There are some problems Oversizing using the Plextor CD-Writers. Also Plextor officially does not support this option and won't give any support on this subject

-pops- 19:08 27 Sep 03

You say in your first post these are data files. You now reveal it's a Windows video clip - not quite the same thing.

WiLL-A 20:09 27 Sep 03

I have burnt approximately 850MB onto an Infiniti 99min CDR. Only problem is other older drives couldnt read the disc so it was only really good for backing up my files. Music compilations I created wouldnt work in my state of the art CD player and i doubt that video CDs made with these discs would work on my DVD player.

mark500 20:15 27 Sep 03

Open Nero go to FILE > PREFERENCES > GENERAL.

Set yellow marker at 74.0.0

Set red marker at 99.0.0.

HORZONTAL SCALING=AUTOMATIC

Next go to EXPERT FEATURES and check the ENABLE OVERBURNING BOX.

In the spaces below put 99.0.0

Blix 21:22 27 Sep 03

To the best of my knowledge, when burning a video clip the size does not factor in too much, what matters is the length of the video. Divx is avi, right? If it's longer than 45-50 mins you may have to split it. Are you trying to make a vcd or svcd? This may help, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now