Can't Open/Save attachments in Windows Mail

hmws 11:02 AM 08 Apr 13

I have a friend who I was staying with at the weekend who is running Windows Vista Home Premium, IE8 and Windows Mail. He cannot open any attachments or save them. It is not a file assocaitaion problem as it is all types of attachment. When trying to save you get "command failed to execute". I have unticked "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened ......" in Windows Mail. I disabled email scanning in AVG and even switched off AVG checking each time with no joy. He can forward emails to third parties who inturn can open the attachments. I'm at a complete loss as to what to try next, any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks a lot Steve

hmws 08:21 AM 11 Apr 13

Thanks for the reference and apologies for the response but my friend is working away. He has tried what was suggested with no luck.

I am at a complete loss now. There are numerous references on the net about this problem and numerous suggestions to the fix all dating back to around 2009 when I guess this problem first appeared. Many reference it to a Microsoft Update.

Would it be reasonable to assume that if he upgrades to Windows 8 this would fix the problem?

chub_tor 09:23 AM 11 Apr 13

Has he considered changing from Windows Mail to Live Mail? check here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…