cant open word files burnt on CD

starbug15 12:22 14 Dec 05

I recently backed up all my files on recordable CD before reloading windows. I can see all the documents but when I try to open or copy them I get a message saying 'the document name or path is not valid' I have tried copying the disk which nero did ok but still couldnt open files. tried opening through Word. I copied these onto cd using XP's roxio burning.

scotty 12:33 14 Dec 05

When you copied the files to CD they will have had the read only flag set. On the files copied back to disk, try changing the read only flag. (I don't think this is the problem as you should be able to read word files on a cd but try it anyway)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:16 14 Dec 05

Access Files
If you get Access Denied in WinXP Pro. Try “taking ownership” of the file/folder before it can be accessed. First of all go to Folder Options, View Tab and in the Advanced Settings at the end, untick “Use simple file sharing”, which will allow the Security Tab to be shown in the file’s properties. Also, in Folder options, make sure hidden and system files can be viewed.

To take ownership of the file (it’s best done at the folder level), right-click it, Properties, Security Tab, add your user name, fill in all the permissions and Apply. You can now access it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…