can't open word file

clarky8325 17:57 18 Jul 04

xp - word 2003

trying to open file but get message 'user does not have access privileges'

i am only user on machine with full rights.

any help please,

andy

buscrew 18:41 18 Jul 04

Not sure but I don't think access to the machine is what is referred to but access to the document. I believe that when a document is composed, the originator can restrict access to the document to a specifig group or person in order to minimise alteration etc. Could be completely wrong, but I am sure someone here will confirm or deny this.

pmjd 18:53 18 Jul 04

Office 2003 does have rights management. Is this s document from work that your working at (trying to) home? If so buscrew's suggestion could be right. Here's what I vaguely remember...Access to documents is provided by serverside software, so you would need to be authenticated by the server as having permission to access the document. If your at home: no server, no authetication, no access.

If this isn't the case, sorry for the long winded explanation.
Another option could be to check the files properties. Also where is the file? on a disk, the hdd? Could it be where the files is that is causing problems? Have you been able to work on the file before?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…