Can't open Windows Explorer

infrared1334 07:44 23 Mar 08

When I open Windows Explorer, the task bar, together with the desktop icons and the Start button, disappear! When it recovered, Windows Explorer was missing but other windows was still there! My computer is running Windows Vista Home Basic. Can you help?

Jak_1 08:06 23 Mar 08

First, try opening it via task manager, ctrl+alt+del(XP, not sure if it's the same for vista)then select file and type in 'windows explorer and see if that opens it. If not then it may be corrupt. Also run your AV and antispyware progs in case something naughty has hit it. Do you have the systems disk?

infrared1334 09:10 23 Mar 08

I can now open explorer.exe(Windows Explorer) Thanks, Jak_1!

Jak_1 09:16 23 Mar 08

You're welcome.

infrared1334 02:41 29 Mar 08

Now I can't open it via task manager. Help!

infrared1334 11:40 23 May 08

Now I have figured it out that Windows Explorer is explorer.exe, while the task bar is also explorer.exe, so when Windows Explorer starts, it stoppes working and Windows closes down explorer.exe(including the task bar) without notice, and it will open explorer.exe(task bar, but not Windows Explorer) again.

All these informations are based on my observations, so I can't say that it is correct!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…