cant open web pages or access e-mail

Newuser38 21:46 28 Apr 05

A couple of days ago I could not get windows to run at first switch on.After trial and error I could get into safe mode, I decided, not wanting to format because I was not sure of my last back-up,to use XP repair. Great fun, worked to final configure and then crashed, blue screen etc. I gave up and the next morning switched on and it completed the XP repair without my doing anything.At that point I realised that half of my programmes had gone and their shortcuts were empty. Data and photos remained.
I have checked virus, trojan etc etc and found no apparent problem. I can access my isp but not open any websites or getinto e-mail.Every thing else seems to work and the programs I have re-installed seem to run.
I am tempted to format. Ideas please.

Newuser38 21:53 28 Apr 05

Sorry I should have said that I have virus etc protection and Firewall. I have used Clean-up, and CWS shredder and MS AntiSpyware nothing found, and apart from the web/e-mail problem all seems to be running well.

Technotiger 22:05 28 Apr 05

Hi, have you run through the normal process for starting a new email account, but not actually new, just re-doing all your account details.
Just a thought, dunno if it will work, but worth a try.

Cheers.

Newuser38 23:09 28 Apr 05

Thanks for the thought. It happens with Thunderbird, Firefox, IE6 and OE6. I have rechecked the settings for the browsers will re-check the emil as well.

Newuser38 08:48 29 Apr 05

checked out no change

Newuser38 13:26 29 Apr 05

another bump for the weekend

VoG II 13:55 29 Apr 05

Repair Internet Explorer (repairs OE as well) click here

IEFix click here

WinsockFix click here

Newuser38 19:58 29 Apr 05

Thanks VoG™ tried those still cannot access sites or e-mail servers, and yet connects to isp ok.

Newuser38 16:37 30 Apr 05

I finally did it with WinsockFix.

I did not realise you advised on Access as well as Excel!

I wish I knew what started the problem. I suspect a spam e-mail that I clicked on open instead of delete. Not to worry it worked, IEfix and IE repairs
did not even find IE.

Thanks again

Richard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…