Can't open photos from my hard disk

Trikie 12:39 14 Jun 10

I've recently acquired a Veho slide and negative scanner. It uses Photo Imperssion 6 and works perfectly except that it seems to have taken control of all my existing pictures.

I can just about live with the fact that it is now the default for opening all pictures but now trying to open pictures in one folder I get a message "Windows cannot access the specified device. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item" for every picture.

Is this anything to do with Photo Impression. Either way, how do I get permission?

I'm the sole user, XP with SP3.

lotvic 13:29 14 Jun 10

Regarding "default for opening all pictures"
You have not told us the file ext of your pics, .jpg, .bmp etc
Have you tried changing the default program for some types of pics?

either:
open My Documents > explore, and navigate to your pictures
rightclick on one of the pics and choose 'Open With' and then select which program you want to view those types (.jpg for example)
If you want to view every picture with that ext with a particular program then tick the box at bottom for 'Always use this program for this type of file'

or:
rightclick on one of the pics and choose 'Properties' and the 'General' tab to get to the same box to choose program to open picture.

jack 14:00 14 Jun 10

Remove photo impression 6.
Win has a defauilt TWAIN driver of its own which may be enough.
Access images already saved- download Irfanview- this is very adept at opening 'crippled' Jpegs and mending them.
Try also downloading PC Inspector and running this through the image folders.

woodchip 14:48 14 Jun 10

Go into Windows Explorer right click on a old photo, choose program you want to use then tick box always use this program

woodchip 14:49 14 Jun 10

You have to click on Open With after right Click

Trikie 22:11 14 Jun 10

Thanks everyone - have successfully swapped Photo Impression to Windows as the default.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced