Can't open photos

cherie 18:50 10 Jun 03

In the past week I've had trouble opening photos on my hard drive. The icons have changed and look like some kind of Word icon or similar and when I double clck on them I get a message such as, 'C:\MyDocuments\PHOTOGRAPHS\Holiday.jpg is not a valid Win32 application'.
Anyone any ideas what might be wrong?
I can open them by starting up Photoshop and opening from within that but I shouldn't have to do that!!
Hopefully someone can help.
Thanks in advance!!

VoG™ 18:54 10 Jun 03

Right click on one of them (or SHIFT+right click if Windows 98) and select open with. Select the program you want to use from the list and tick the box that says "always use this program to open this type of file".

cherie 19:04 10 Jun 03

Thanks,VoG, but when I tried what you suggested it said,'Access to the specified device, path or file is denied.'
Where next???

VoG™ 19:08 10 Jun 03

What version of Windows do you have?

cherie 19:12 10 Jun 03

Windows98

VoG™ 19:18 10 Jun 03

Can you try reinstalling Photoshop - this should associate .jpg files with itself.

cherie 19:24 10 Jun 03

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

TBH1 19:39 10 Jun 03

cherie - - I had something very similar, if not the same - - -but problems were with jpg files - when selecting the 'open with' thingy they were opening with quickview and not with psp. Also could not preview via explorer - - - wopped the problem on this board so will endevour to find it for you - - may not be the resolution for you but maybe worth a go - - stand by.

TBH1 19:46 10 Jun 03

found it - - though it points to a thumbnail view problem , it did solve the open with bit - - -have a go
click here

TBH1 19:48 10 Jun 03

hey, forget my last - -didn't solve the 'open with' bit at all, just the preview bit - - -gonna go right back there now - - am I waffling ??

cherie 21:23 10 Jun 03

Hi,TBH1!
You're a Superstar!!
I followed your link to the website'Professor Mandia' and I've sorted my problem in two minutes flat!!(I cahnged the file association).
My photos are back to normal now.
Many, many thanks!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…