can't open outlook express file saved to usb stick

renaissancehenna 12:53 31 Dec 07

can't open dbx files saved to usb stick

hi

i've just completed a (first time) backup of all files and folders etc to a usb stick - don't know much to be honest about computers and programmes etc. I managed to save all OE files and folders + address books ( & for all different identities) and I now have a folder on the usb stick showing all OE files but can't open them or read them. I installed dbx extract and also a trial version of easy OE repair but still can't open these files. I don't actually need to read them right now but I'm worried that in case of a computer crash I wouldn't be able to access the files even though they're saved to the usb stick device. How can I be sure that I'll be able to read these files if I shoudl lose all my OE data or eg have to reinstall the hardd rive or something like that? And how would I import the address books from usb stick back into each OE identity if I needed to do that? I understand that you can't view/read the files unless in OE, but I'm getting confused as to how to check that it will all actually work in the event of a crash ! It's worrying me that I can't access the files right now on the usb stick somehow to check that I can view them. Another issue - sorry , not sure if it's related or not...... on my programme list start up menu lots of the programmje icons have changed/look different and some no longer work ...I did go into the registry but am confused about what to delete and what to leave - there's tons of stuff that go years back and I don't know where to start! I did download a registry cleaner but still have weird file extensions and that sort of stuff - programmes that no longer open. Would really appreciate help - sorry if I've posted too many questions inthe wrong section.

brundle 15:48 31 Dec 07

When you say `can't open them`, what actually happens? Do programs refuse to access them, or just show no data?
Use CCleaner's registry cleaner. click here
If your system is really messed up then a fresh install is the best option, no registry cleaner will sort everything out.

renaissancehenna 17:38 31 Dec 07

I get a prompt box which asks me to select either which programme I want to open the file with
( none of them work) or a link to a microsoft website which then explains what the file extension is but won't open the file for me, and then I get links form there to other websites/infomration on the file extension and that's it.

brundle 17:45 31 Dec 07

That's because dbx files are specific to OE storage folders and can't be accessed directly except with third party programs. You have to import them back into OE in order to view them as emails. You can load them into DBXtract and extract some to a folder to check that you have got the correct files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…