Can't open "My Documents"

Yimbo 15:14 04 Feb 11

Clicking on the desktop icon "My Documents" to open this folder, gets the message "Security Alert - Your current security settings do not allow this action".

Yet from the Start Menu, "My Documents" opens normally! I use XP (Home) with Zone Alarm.

What may have I done (altered?) to cause this issue? As far as I can see, no other Desktop icons are affected in this way.

mgmcc 15:36 04 Feb 11

Try this:

Drag the "My Documents" icon into the Recycle bin, saying 'Yes' to the warning message. Now right click a blank area of the Desktop, select Properties and click the Desktop tab. Click the "Customize Desktop" button and put a tick back into the "My Documents" box in the Desktop Icons at the top. See if it then works properly.

If not, remove it again and create your own shortcut. Open Windows Explorer and ensure folders are displayed in the left pane. Don't go to "My Documents", but to the entry further down under your Username. For example, if you are logged in as Yimbo, go to the entry for "Yimbo's Documents". Right click this and select "Send To > Desktop (create shortcut)". That shortcut should then open My Documents.

Yimbo 10:52 05 Feb 11

for you help! Your first suggestion was the one that worked! I appreciate your assistance!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…