Can't open local swf files - and Shockwave is already installed.

Careful 15:59 17 Apr 15

Hello people
I installed a teaching DVD on my PC (Windows 7) and can't get the .swf files to run. Got the standard error message saying it needed to find what program was required to open the file, and then invited me to install Shockwave, which I did, but still nothing. I use Firefox and I'm sure there was Shockwave already installed to run with that, but maybe that's not relevant or quite the same program. I did a search on this forum but no conclusive answers came up. Any ideas please? I'm sure there must be a simple answer to this.

Careful 10:20 18 Apr 15

Bump.

I've spent a couple of hours trying to get this sorted, with no results.

Have tried changing Flash settings and added swf folder to 'Trusted location settings' -this as advised by Adobe site, also I've changed registry settings as advised on Microsoft site, which should then enable local swf files to play on Windows Media Player (the Player opens, but then still asks me to download Flash player !)

Is playing stand-alone swf files such an unusual thing to do?

Batch 10:41 18 Apr 15

Try opening your browser and then click and drag the .swf file (e.g. from Windows Explorer) into the browser window - that sometimes works.

Careful 11:43 18 Apr 15

Thanks Batch,

That opens some of them. So simple.

I'll keep trying to find the answer for the others - somehow.

lotvic 12:36 18 Apr 15

Adobe Flash. I think you need the Stand-alone Flash player projector

The stand-alone players have "_sa" added to them

I think the debug version is the one to get from Adobe.com, ClickHere scroll down the page to section 'EXTENDED SUPPORT RELEASE - FLASH PLAYER' and 'Download the Flash Player 13 Projector content debugger'

it is an .exe file h t t p : / / download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/13/flashplayer13sa_debug.exe

or you could use another different Flash Player - do a google search for one.

Careful 15:10 18 Apr 15

Thanks lotvic - Very helpful. I'll try this.

rdave13 16:01 18 Apr 15

You could also try VLC player.

Batch 14:46 19 Apr 15

Unless you want to try one of the many 3rd party standalone shockwave / flash players (e.g. VLC, FLV), you might need to install Adobe's Shockwave Player plug-in (click here) to handle all swf files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5