Cant open Firefox, Help Please

Major Disaster 17:30 26 Jun 05

Hello,
I recently installed and ran a trial of system mechanic 5 professional and ofter one "cleaning of duplicate files" i now can not open firefox (well i think the cleaning of files is to blame as i noticed it was deleting some firefox files and after that i couldnt acess the programme).
Ive tried unistalling and then reinstalling firefox and used system restore but that didnt work. tried to undo the change using system mechanic but i get and error message.
Any ideas??

rubella 17:45 26 Jun 05

Try dumping the Mozilla folder in ‘Application Data’ within Documents and Settings. [You’ll probably need to tick “show hidden files and folders” under tools/folder options/view.] Then reinstall Firefox.

octal 17:49 26 Jun 05

rubella is probably correct, your Profile Folder is corrupt. This might help you manage it: click here

Major Disaster 19:29 26 Jun 05

Thanks for the help, do you mean the whole mozilla firefox file in C:\Programme Files? Just copy and past it? Or down load it and copy and save that file there? Thanks for the help but please send more instructions (im not really that good with computers)!
Thanks

octal 19:44 26 Jun 05

What operation system are you using? Windows XP home, or some other.

Major Disaster 19:46 26 Jun 05

XP Home SP2 with all the windows updates and more anti virus/spyware apps than you can shake a stick at (all up-to-date) of course. But what about moving mozilla to application data? Please explain more on that

octal 19:54 26 Jun 05

OK, I'm not an XP expert, but the first thing to do is what rubella says and go to tools/folder options/view then scroll do and make sure there's a tick in “show hidden files and folders” if its not ticked, tick it.

Then open Windows Explorer by right clicking on Start then Explore.

When it opens have a look down the folder tree in this path:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
In there will be a file which is the file for your profile in Firefox, delete it, it will send it to the Recycle bin, so don't worry about it. the reinstall Firefox and see how it goes.

I don't think I've missed anything, some will say so if I have.

Stuartli 19:58 26 Jun 05

Firefox and its associated profiles are kept separately; this is why you retain all your data when updating to a new version of Firefox after uninstalling the old one first.

octal 20:07 26 Jun 05

If I can amplify what Stuartli has just said. When you reinstall Firefox the first thing it does is to look for a profile folder in the location I gave you, if its there it will use it, if its corrupt there's a problem because you'll never get FF to work properly.

This is the reason why you've got to delete it, then when you install FF it won't find the profile folder and it will create a new one. The only problem is by deleting it you loose all your settings including bookmarks, so make sure you save them occasionally.

Major Disaster 21:19 26 Jun 05

Thanks for your help, especially octal. I followed your instructions and deleted a folder called jz14y41l (a big 40Mb file). Just installing firefox now, ill tell you how it goes.
Thanks

Major Disaster 21:23 26 Jun 05

Thanks worked a treat, i had to create a new profile so i lost all my saved passwords/bookmarks etc but its better than not having it working, so thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…