Cant open email document attachment

Ex plorer 10:34 31 May 10

Hi I have office 97 the same as my son he has sent a document by email his OS is XP.

My OS is Vista and on opening the attachment I have to choose what programme I want to open it with.

No matter what I try it turns out in gobbledegook, I have tried down loading a Viewer for MS Office but it just freezes during loading to Laptop any suggestion’s please.

Zak 10:42 31 May 10

Try saving word attachment on your desktop, check it has a .doc extension. Now try opening by double clicking or run word and open from within word.

Ex plorer 17:09 31 May 10

Hi Zak I couldn't get it to work however after much trying to open this file I now have a message that MS Office has a corrupted file and that I should reinstall.
As MS runs OK apart from that one email I will leav it alone.
I should have mentioned that it was a docx. file format that the email came in.
I managed to load the viewr for MS 97 OK and set it as default but with no better results

Ex plorer 17:14 31 May 10

Should read open this email attachment not (to open this file)

Sea Urchin 21:00 31 May 10

An email attachment is a file - so you were quite correct.

Do you really mean that both you and your son have Office 97? That wouldn't produce a .docx file - it would have to be Office 2007.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…