//some 3rd party need geo

Cant open e-mail attachments

hawthorn59 17:26 07 Feb 04

Wondering is there something wrong with my outlook express or my pc. I got 2 emails from a friend today with attachments, which didnt automatically open. So I saved them to desktop, virus checked them and opened them, but simply got an almost empty copy of the e-mail, with this:

Note: forwarded message attached.

I tried opening it in an image programme and just got a page of code, but it does appear to be a jpg.

This has happened before, buy this is a new pc. I wonder is there something I havent enabled, or setup correctly..?

Many thanks, TH

Gongoozler 17:36 07 Feb 04

If you can view the file in a text editor, a jpg file should begin with ÿØÿá (hopefully this has not been corrupted in the posting).

The only thing that normally prevents an attachment from being opened from IE is if the security setting is set to block it. Tools - Options - Security - Do not allow attachments etc.

Irishman 17:37 07 Feb 04

Options-Security-untick the box-Do not allow etc.

Can also happen if you or the person sending are using Hotmail.

Ironman556 17:41 07 Feb 04

It might be that outlok has judged it as a security risk based on the file extension, if you've got a new pc it's likely you've got a new version of OE, that has the attachment filtering in place to prevent the spread of virus', but they've gone a little mad in places and block things that are actually useful.

Get DetachOL from click here and you'll be able to unlock blocked attachments.

Stuartli 17:51 07 Feb 04

In OE's Tools?Options>General tab uncheck "Do not open attachments that could potentially contain a virus" - it's not very effective in any case.

Ironman556 17:55 07 Feb 04

Detach OL give you the option to just let through certain attachments and block others=, whereas disabling it totally will let everything through.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…