Can't open docs with Word 7

ernieernie 14:24 13 Nov 08

My son has just got a new laptop with Microsoft ofice 7.
He has now got a problem opening Word documents sent to him as attachemnts.
He emails them to me and I have no trouble in opening them with my earlier Office version. I then email the copied and pasted letter back to him, which is an appalling way to receive massages.
Any one out there who can help?

sil_ver 15:20 13 Nov 08

What 'problem' does he have? Has he tried right clicking on the doc and then on 'open with' and pointing to MS7 Word - That's if Word is included in the package.

ernieernie 15:38 13 Nov 08

Thanks for responding, sil_ver.
He has tried to do just that but is not given the option of 'open with'.
It seems that some of them open if he keeps trying but some just won't.
He's gone to collect the kids at the moment so I can't say any more.
I will see if I can get him to get on to this website and open a thread. It would be better if it was direct and not through a proxy!

sil_ver 15:42 13 Nov 08

My Laptop came with a version of MS Office it's very limited and does not include Word strangely.

Pineman100 15:49 13 Nov 08

Tell him to save the attachments to his hard drive, then launch Word and open the files from within Word.

That should work.

ernieernie 16:11 13 Nov 08

To Pineman100
Thanks for the tip. I can't check it on my computer as I have no difficulty, but I have emailed him and when he lets me know I'll come back again. I have a feeling that you are probably right. I dragged them on to the desktop - it's easier to find them.

ernieernie 19:01 13 Nov 08

Pineman
We still have the same problem because he can't drag them. It won't let him.
So we are now searching Microsoft Downloads for patches for unopenable Word documents.
It is all very interesting but it doesn't get any work done!

sil_ver 19:32 13 Nov 08

Has he got 'Word' on his PC?

ernieernie 19:56 13 Nov 08

Yes. It is a new laptop and he bought the student version of Office 2007 to go with it.

joeartis 20:17 13 Nov 08

Try this link, past into IE address bar:

click here

ernieernie 21:02 13 Nov 08

jeoartis.
Thanks for your interest. It just happens that I had latched on to that one a few minutes earlier and recommended it to him. It takes over an hour to download so perhaps there will be something to report after he has put the kids to bed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac