Can't open the damned DVD drive GRRRRRRRRRR!

Picklefactory 16:27 24 Dec 09

Can anyone please advise me on how to open a stuck DVD drive draw. Tried and tried the paper clip in the little hole routine, but it won't release. I get a 'clunk' when trying to open under power, and if I power the pc down and try the clip, I feel the spring mechanism release, but the draw is still locked. Am I stuffed or is there a work around?
Thanks folks

Quiller. 16:38 24 Dec 09

Both will come out easily. Undo the 4 screws on the case and remove top. Press plastice release clip and ease with a small screwdriver to pop it open.

Or if it's a tower system, ease of the front plate and reach with a thin screwdriver to pop the release
catch.

Quiller. 16:38 24 Dec 09

Both will come out easily. Undo the 4 screws on the case and remove top. Press plastice release clip and ease with a small screwdriver to pop it open.

Or if it's a tower system, ease of the front plate and reach with a thin screwdriver to pop the release
catch.

Quiller. 16:39 24 Dec 09

and it comes up as a double post.

Pamy 16:49 24 Dec 09

Dick Tattor, It's only a computer!!

rdave13 17:24 24 Dec 09

Had it happen to me with a desktop. Is there a disc still in the drive?
Had one of these multi-disc packs and, unknown to me, when I inserted the last disc in the drive a small washer type rubber had clinged to the base of disc. That was the end of the drive. Managed to get the disc out and found the offending object. Taught me a lesson.
Replaced the drive for around £35 from Amazon.

Picklefactory 11:45 25 Dec 09

Thanks folks, Happy Christmas, probably won't dabble till after dinner now and when I get bored this evening with the rubbish telly :o)

woodchip 11:50 25 Dec 09

Right click the drive then choose Eject

Picklefactory 12:19 25 Dec 09

Thanks, but that has same effect as pressing the eject button.............'clunk'. The mechanism is stuck, probably a worn moving part I'd guess. I'll strip the front off later.

PS Dick, it is a desktop tower, sorry, I should have mentioned that initially.

Quiller. 12:43 26 Dec 09

Take the drive out of the computer and ease off the front cover. There should be 2 push in clips at the side. Shine in a torch to see the etaining clip and press it. If the drive drawer does not click open, then take out the 4 micro screws and take off the top cover. You should then be able to physically open the drawer and remove disk, it is probably artl jammed.

Click front facia back on and insert drive back into computer.

Picklefactory 18:56 26 Dec 09

I'm tied up with Christmas right now, but that all sounds pretty simple. I'll tick as resolved, but post back when I've got away from washing up long enough to dabble.

:o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now