can't open attachments due to outlook express.

chrisquig 20:20 16 Jan 03
  chrisquig 20:20 16 Jan 03

previously i have been able to open attachments until i logged onto windows update. and was advised to download windows update starter pack 1. since then whenever i check my e mails the message appears oe has safeguarded your computer against blah, blah, blah. even e mails from my friends, like text footie tables basic stuff. can you help i hope it's just a matter of a few adjustments on a properties menu. i did try to use system restore but that erased my network connections so i reversed the restore. teething problems new to this computer lark.

WaTcHiNg 20:24 16 Jan 03

click
Tools
Options
Security tab
Uncheck the box for 'Do not allow....'

Gongoozler 20:24 16 Jan 03

chrisquig, If you are using OE6, this has a security feature that blocks all file types that may contain a virus. You can turn this feature off.
Start Outlook Express, and then on the Tools menu, click Options.

Click the Security tab, and then unselect the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus" check box under "Virus Protection".

jazzypop 20:29 16 Jan 03

The above suggestions will work, but rely on you having a good up-to-date antivirus program.

If you don't yet have one (get one, preferably Norton, and keep it updated), a temporary workaround for files that you absolutely trust, is to select the message and press 'Forward'. The attachment will then be able to be opened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…