Can't open anything.

futaba 11:21 14 Feb 04

Hi.
I'm in trouble, don't know whether it's something I have picked up or done myself. Having just run "spybot" and updated it, then went into msconfig to check my selective start up and set it to how it's been running for ages. I now find I can't open any programs, just comes up with cannot find c/etc etc, this includes system information, msconfig,word, ie6, outlook express, etc, etc. Any help would be most apreciated.Running WXP pro on Dell Insp8200 laptop P4 1.7ghz.
Cheers.

Lozzy 11:26 14 Feb 04

Insert your XP CD then exit out the wizard when it starts.

Click on start then run then type sfc /scannow
then hit ok

note:: the space between the sfc and /

This will reset your system and correct any corruptions or errors.

anon1 11:34 14 Feb 04

You could check exactly what you done with spybot. Look at the recovery section. You may have deleted/ removed files in error. If you have you can recovery them.

futaba 18:28 14 Feb 04

Hi.
Spent all afternoon on this, nothing seems to work,It can't find a number of .exe files, such as, rundll32.exe,mshta.exe,fixmapi.exe,wmpstub.exe, etc,etc. This, when trying to open anything in the control panel, can't find rundll32.exe and on using the repair function a total of 10 exe files in c:\windows syatem32\ it can't find.
Think the only solution may be a reinstall, I know there is a way to do this on XP without losing files or setting, but can't rember how to do this, any ideas?
Cheers.

VoG II 18:29 14 Feb 04

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it repla

futaba 18:51 14 Feb 04

Hi vog.
Thanks for your input, have done that, while reinstalling, it comes up with all those missing files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…