Can't make DVD disk compatible

jonmac 18:27 20 Oct 04

I have a Lite On DVD Writer with its Sonic software and an LG CD Writer with Roxio software.
After doing a drag and Drop copy of files in Explorer to the DVD, when I right click on the DVD drive and choose the "make compatible" option to ensure the disk can be read by other drives, I get the following message "The selected drive is being used by Roxio Direct CDKernel. Please wait until Roxio Direct CD Kernel is finished, then try again." I'm still waiting! Any ideas what I can do?

I have Windows XP Pro.

ICF 19:56 20 Oct 04

I have never heard of sonic software is it a DVD/CD burning software? If it is it's not recommended to have two DVD/CD burning software packages installed at the same time.

chugby 20:12 20 Oct 04

Direct CD (Packetwriting software) notorious
for problems, for more info try
click here
click here

JonnyTub 20:15 20 Oct 04

what version of sonic are you using?

JonnyTub 20:20 20 Oct 04

This isn't a part of MyDVD as much as RecordNow which is bundled with MyDVD in some cases. It is recommending that you remove Roxio/DirectCD because MyDVD uses DLA instead of DirectCD. Both are "packet writing" programs that help reformat and write CD R/RW media. Two packet writing programs can't exist on the same system so MyDVD gives you the option to keep or remove one or the other. If DirectCD is chosen to
be removed by accident (or on purpose) it can be easily replaced in XP by removing DLA from the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel. If the system is Win2k or older, Roxio will need to be re-installed. However, DLA can still perform your re-writing/erasing needs by right-clicking on the cd/DVD burner (with the media loaded) in the Explorer window and selecting "reformat."

woodchip 20:38 20 Oct 04

A DVD that's been written with packet writing software will not play on a DVD player. it's OK for data etc that's going to be read on the same computer

jonmac 23:26 20 Oct 04

Apologies for the delay in replying - unexpected visitors!
Apologies too for not exploring the Sonic software properly so that I missed the part of it which does what I wanted it to do. i.e. make simple copies of data files and photos. No music, no video etc.
But thanks as usual for your quick responses. I have now uninstalled Roxio and will remove the CD Writer too as not required.
Thanks again

stalion 23:41 20 Oct 04

If my dvd is packet writing software how come it is one of the best on the market and plays on any dvd player

chugby 20:13 22 Oct 04

looks like MyDVD DLA required for DVD-VR disks, assume similar to NERO6 DVD+VR. See this link which also has general MyDVD troubleshooting tips
at the start click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…