Can't make broadband connection with IBM Thinkpad

Burnsy 18:48 06 Apr 07

I have an IBM Thinkpad 600 (running XP) which I have been using on a wireless network for some time. I have now given the laptop to my father, to connect to broadband via a wired Speedtouch modem but the laptop does not seem to know to connect to broadband via its USB port. Does anyone know of a way to make it recognise and communicate with the speedtouch modem, or would I have a better chance with a PCMCIA USB card ? Is there a particular type of PCMCIA card for connecting to broadband ?

Forum Editor 01:36 07 Apr 07

Your father ran the Speedtouch software on the Thinkpad before trying to connect to the modem?

mocha 04:03 07 Apr 07

I agree with FE, when I first connected to cable broadband via a wired modem to a USB port on my computer I had to install NTL's software in order for it to work, although it didn't require the software if I used the modem Ethernet to Computer Ethernet link.

Burnsy 08:55 07 Apr 07

Thanks FE & Mocha, yes we installed the software first. The broadband worked fine through a desktop, but its as if the USB port on the Thinkpad isn't configured to host an internet connection. Is it right that its still a PPPoE connection even when its wired ?

mocha 13:33 07 Apr 07

As I see it a PPPoE connection is for people who use broadband, but have a User name and Password as on BT Landlines. If you are using Cable connection that is always on then there is no need for PPPoE. as you dont have a password or user name.

Burnsy 19:18 07 Apr 07

OK thanks, I'll delete the existing connection and re-install the software, but if its no better any thoughts on the chances of it working by plugging the USB from the modem via a PCMCIA card ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…