Can't log into XP - very strange

noluckchuck 11:58 11 Dec 10

To whoever can help, you will stop me from going bald as I am currently pulling my hair out.

My old work gave me my computer when I left. It runs Windows XP. I was on it a couple of days ago, clearing unwanted files and programs. I went into a section where it asked if I wanted to add a new user profiles, so I typed a new username and set it so I didn't need a password.

Then when I restarted the computer, it is not only asking me for a password, but my old username and password won't work, and I don't have a password for the new username!!

So it seems as if the computer is now locked and I can't get in. What are my options? Replace hard drive, and start from scratch? Or is there a funky solution that I haven't thought of. Without the admin password it seems as if I'm stuck.

Any help will be rewarded by enormous amounts of Karma.

Thanks in advance.

michaelw 12:40 11 Dec 10

Often the admininstrator's password is blank so if you press return it opens, but only sometimes.

I take it you don't have an xp cd.

woodchip 13:24 11 Dec 10

Start in Safe mode tapping F5 as its starting then change accounts settings in Control Panel

woodchip 13:25 11 Dec 10

Start in Safe mode tapping F5 as its starting then change accounts settings in Control Panel. PS you do well to remove the Administrator and Create a New one with your Name

noluckchuck 14:02 11 Dec 10

I appreciate the help guys. Sadly, when I restart in safe mode, I still get asked to log on with a username and password, and so I hit the same hurdle.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:34 11 Dec 10

Type in our user name and leave the password box blank then press enter.

If you get in
Control panel User accounts disable all passwords there.

To stop your system from displaying the Welcome Screen, go to "Start->Run" and type in "control userpasswords2" (but without the quotations). Untick the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option and click OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac