Can't load XP

mags65 16:45 08 Mar 05

Hi every1 just found this site but I am sure I will be nipping your ears a lot in the next couple of months as I plan to build my own PC from scratch for the first time.

Problem I have at the moment though is with my existing PC. Some months back I had a new hard drive installed and last week I tried to install Windows XP (currently running ME)but halfway throught he install a message came up saying that my C:drive was corrupt and could'nt be repaired and the install aborted and returned to ME. I then decided to try a clean install of ME using the floppy I had but it got part way through that and quit as well. Any ideas what is wrong.I would like to use this hard drive to upgrade my kids comp once I have my own nice new one up and running but I don't want to use it if I am going to be bogged down with problems. I know I do have viruses cos zone alarm has told me so but also that some of them cannot be repaired or deleted. Most of them seem to have gotten in through msn messenger (Kids use it to talk with their pals)Is this a common problem with this program.Is there a way to completely wipe the HDD before putting it in another computer?

ThePharcyde007 16:57 08 Mar 05

You can format the harddrive from Dos, Switch the PC on and press F8 just before the Win ME logo shows. This will give you some options, one of them will be to start pc in Dos mode. You will then see a black screen with C:\Windows or simular. Type Format C:\ and this will totally erase all data on your hard drive. Then install XP by placing the bootable disc in the drive.

mags65 17:00 08 Mar 05

Will this effectively mean that My HDD is new again or will I still have the remnants of the viruses.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 08 Mar 05

This will mean your hard drive is new again.

Back up any documents passwords or drivers you require first.

Completealias 19:29 08 Mar 05

When you have formatted I would boot with a 98 floppy first and run scandisk let it check the surface of the drive to make sure you haven't got any bad sectors on the drive.

at a prompt type scandisk

If you have then this could also b whats causing the problem and bad sectors are a sign that the drive is on the way out and you'll prob need a new hard drive, if alls ok the reboot with the xp disk and install

Completealias 19:35 08 Mar 05

Also free anti virus software click here for avast and click here for AVG7. A good cleaner program click here and antispyware click here
for spybot
click here
for adaware
click here
microsoft anti spyware

Will all help with keeping the pc safe and clean

mags65 11:16 09 Mar 05

I have tried the above suggestion but when I press F8 it takes me to a screen with the following options

1 Normal start up
2 Bootlog TXT
3 Safe mode
4 step by step confirmation

Any ideas please would be greatly appreciated.

Completealias 14:43 09 Mar 05

Do you have a boot disk if not click here

Click on the DOS\Win9x eic one at the top then personally I'd selct the Windows 98 SE OEM option and download that I have downloaded this one and check it and it works fine.

Make the bootable floppy by putting a floppy in the drive and double clicking on the file you just downloaded.

Now restart the computer with the floppy disk in the drive it should now boot from the disk. If it doesn't then you need to go into your BIOS and change the boot sequence to boot from a drive first.

Once you have booted from the disk you should then get to a DOS prompt. Change to c drive by typing c: and press enter then at c: type format c: you will then get an r u sure message press y for yes and away u go.

Personally after you have formatted I would run a scandisk and let it check the surface of the drive for any errors if you've got any bad sectore then the drive is on the way out but it may do you for a while.

After you have formated reboot and go back into the BIOS and change it to boot from CD-ROM first and put your xp disk in the tray it should then boot from the xp disk and start the installation

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…