cant install XP, as bootmgr missing on cd startup?

theDarkness 16:26 04 Nov 10

I am trying to install xp sp2 disc onto a hard drive, on a desktop system. I need to reinstall its xp sp2 dvd, and the set up is to run content from compact disc first, and not hard drive, but I am forever stuck on the boot screen with 'bootmgr is missing'. Is there an easy solution? Its the only hard drive connected, its set as main/primary.

There is a partition on the drive, but without any content. Any ideas on how I can get the system to run the xp dvd? I thought perhaps the drive had been formatted beforehand using vista or something else, causing issues, if the drive wasnt on its last legs-haha. I cant find the easy solution. thanks for any help!

rawprawn 17:33 04 Nov 10

Have a look here and see if thiclick here helps

onthelimit 18:21 04 Nov 10

That link doesn't work (for me at least).

rawprawn 18:25 04 Nov 10

Sorry try click here

theDarkness 13:11 05 Nov 10

Thanks for the link. Ive now been told the system was accidentally switched off, causing possible corruption on the drive. Its important files were restored and saved onto another drive, and the problematic drive was then fully formatted (non quick). The boot screen settings were definately set up to boot from compact disc first, but nothing would work.

Ive tried simply restoring the boot screen settings to default today, and the XP SP2 disc is now finally loading up-but the percentage bar freezes at random points when installing windows. I then have to reset and try again, but it keeps freezing... perhaps the drive was permanently damaged, if possible, although I think I will finally try removing its partition as a last resort to see if that could be the cause. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac