Cant install Xp another O.S is on partition

bigboab y 17:17 06 Apr 05

Bought a 40 gig HDD on Ebay.. alleged good nick.. I have formatted to NTFS and partitioned to 100%.. but i keep getting the message that another operating system exists (without saying which) and it wont install. I have looked through the threads on here but cant find a similar problem... I did get Windows 98se to load (using FAT32) ,but when I tried to install over it,I reached a screen that said "BLOCKAGE another system present" which is probly same problem ... any ideas guys/gals ???

Fingees 18:30 06 Apr 05

Have you done the formatting etc, via booting from the CD.

You have to set CD as first boot via bios then hard drive.

When it boots from CD, it gives format options, and then installs. As it does the format, it won't bother what systems are on the hard drive.
Its only if you try to install without booting from the CD, that it will not instal.

bigboab y 10:25 07 Apr 05

Done all of the above...NOW when I boot from floppy..it appears as though XP is partially installed .. moves along for about a minute..then I get a "Fatal Error" window which says "the parameter is Incorrect" Installation failed d:\1386\asms ... what the hell does that mean?? Losing the will to live with this ..ANY advice would be much appreciated. Its getting close to square window time :-)

Yoda Knight 10:28 07 Apr 05

Why are you booting from a floppy now ???

bigboab y 10:46 07 Apr 05

Cos it keeps trying to install xp ,keeps going back to the page wot says there is another windows already on the hard drive,..when I boot from floppy,the xp page comes up with the flying blue balls then gives that error message above..the installation disc formatted the drive and partitioned to NTFS .. but returns to setup screen ad infinitum.. is there a way to totally empty the hard drive as formatting doesnt seem to do it

Yoda Knight 10:58 07 Apr 05

run the install cd from boot, choose option to delete partition, then create new partition and continue.

By deleting the partition you are destroying everything that was on there, non-recoverable !

bigboab y 11:16 07 Apr 05

I'll try that yoda..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…