Cant install windows xp HE

Sisha 15:40 10 Apr 05

I am trying to install windows xp onto a pc that was windows 98se. I have asked the auto format at the beginning of installation to use ntfs file format. Not sure if this is causing the problem or not but the installation hangs in the middle of installing. Everything used to work on this pc until I started to do this install. It’s an amd xp1600 cpu with a 40gb hard drive. 256mb memory. Did install xp successfully at first but whole thing crashed after installing Epson c60 printer and this was reason for re installing.

Trackrat 16:33 10 Apr 05

Are you doing a clean install or an upgrade one?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:34 10 Apr 05

NTFS should not be causing your problem.

When you say hangs in the middle of the install where exactly? after the first reboot?

Sisha 17:39 10 Apr 05

Is a clean install and hangs before asked to enter windows key

Sisha 18:08 10 Apr 05

Or should i be doing some kind of special format?

Fingees 18:49 10 Apr 05

I take it you are booting from the CD.

If not, set CD as first boot in BIOs and hdd as second.

You should get all the options then.

Sisha 20:14 10 Apr 05

Yes. All set up for cdrom first. Its freezing on "Installing windows" section of installation. If I reboot the machine it carries on installing but up to a certain point and then freezes again. I also noticed that there is no option for any other file format than ntfs?

Fingees 20:32 10 Apr 05

Have you checked compatability of hardware, software prior to trying to upgrade.
If not. run cd from your present operating system, and it will tell you what needs updating.
Else when it gets to incompatable hardware or software during installation it's liable to stop.

suggest any problems, browse the CD and read the readme files.

Sisha 20:44 10 Apr 05

The strange thing is, the first time i did this everything was fine on installation until i tried to install an epson c60 printer. since then the machine will no longer allow me to install fully?

THE TERMINATOR 00:16 11 Apr 05

When you install from the xp disk, you don't request to update set-up files by any chance, you'd be better off skipping this bit.

Sisha 12:38 11 Apr 05

The extra strange thing is that I have created an windows 98 startup disk in order to try formating and using fdisk (just to see if i could do a low level format) and have reset bois to start with floppy disk, the machine wont load basic DOS up???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…