cant install windows xp again

redeyes20007 02:38 29 Aug 05

someone,anyone please help
iam currently on windows xp home edition and i need to re-install xp home edition to fix some problems..but when i put the original disc in it just comes up that i have a newer version ???? and it wont let me install the xp disc again???any ideas i,m desperate

It is probably because you have installed one of the service packs. (SP1 or SP2). This would be normal.

If you have backed up your data, and you have the XP serial number, then the best route would be to format and reload.

Make sure the XP disk is in your CD Drive, make sure the bios is set to boot from CD, then restart the PC, and keep pressing the space bar to start the installation process. Follow the instructions and select the option to format. After that the installation will commmence.

IPA 07:10 29 Aug 05

Have a look here click here

redeyes20007 12:20 29 Aug 05

hi tommo ive tried booting from disc ,,it starts to scan for hardware etc ,then a rather long user agreement comes up which gives me the option of agreeing F8 or cancel (return) when i press f8 nothing happens i can only cancel (return)
and thanks ipa for that link (that may come in handy for the future)

Terry Brown 12:49 29 Aug 05

Go to microsoft help, or click here and download the download program for xphome. You will need 6 floppy disks.After downloading the program, run and follow instructions to create boot disks.Set your machine to boot from floppy (or on bootup keep presing F8 to get boot options)Put the first floppy in the drive and the xphome CD in the drive. Follow instructions.

redeyes20007 20:28 29 Aug 05

thanks guys for ur help, sorted it now i binned my pc and got an x box..na seriously i uninstalled sp2 and put disc in again cheers tommo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…