cant install windows update 331953

grumps2001uk 11:33 15 Apr 03

hi every one maybe someone can help me i have got a new computer xp home and windows update said i need to load a patch to prevent a security threat but it wont install it keeps saying fail to install and i should try to install it again i have tried 7 times then give up hope you can help
Don

Big Elf 11:47 15 Apr 03

Look at click here

Tog 11:53 15 Apr 03

Can't find anything on the M$ support site but here is the URL if you want to have a search for it. click here

grumps2001uk 14:17 15 Apr 03

The Point I am trying too make is.Its new i havent installed any updates yet? but apart from that how do i install? should i see guy who built computer as to what he would he have installed? he is on HOL at moment so cant get in touch
grumps

Tog 14:51 15 Apr 03

Are you trying to install using Windows Update or have you downloaded the file and tried to update from that?

grumps2001uk 15:32 15 Apr 03

yes i am trying to install windows update

Tog 21:21 15 Apr 03

Go to support.microsoft.com enter 331953 in the search field on the LHS of the page, click on the top result (331953 under the underlined link) and half way down the page you will see the option to download the file. Follow the instructions to download and save. Then I would try installing it off-line without your firewall or AV software running.

If it still happens, on the above site you can send a query to MS about your problem.

Good luck.

grumps2001uk 14:28 16 Apr 03

thanks Tog i tried that but got this message:setup could not verifie the integrity of the file update.inf. make sure the cryptographic services are running on this computer _??

Big Elf 14:39 16 Apr 03

Open Windows Explorer and find the catroot2 folder in C:\Windows\System32.

Rename the folder to oldcatroot2.

Install the update again.

grumps2001uk 10:09 17 Apr 03

thanks Big Elf i will try that s as soon as i get back to my comp, as i am on a friends comp which i noticed has updated his but he has me? grumps

grumps2001uk 14:16 22 Apr 03

Thanks for all the advice but it didnt work so i uninstalled a N.A.V i had put on computer tried again OK called shop who sold me computer he said i should get in touch with norton surely he should change package in case C D is corrupt? sorry i took so long to respond as i didnt have access to my own computer
grumps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…