//some 3rd party need geo

Cant install window updates or uninstall programs!

machow 17:43 16 Oct 03

Can anyone help?? When i go to uninstall programs, the windows installer window appears, but then nothing happens. It just stops doin anything.

When i try to uninstall Norton Internet Security, through Start, Programs, and click uninstall option on Norton, a window appears saying that there is an install running and should finish that first. But i havent any other installs running.

I cannot install window updates either.it just stops like it does when i try to uninstall progs.

i have only had the pc a month now.

Does anyone know what the problem is???

recap 18:43 16 Oct 03

This may be related to Norton. If you have Norton firewall try disabling it and see if that helps?

machow 19:07 16 Oct 03

I discable it as soon as i startup.

I have some windows automatic updates to install aswell. Ive downloaded them but it now seens to have froze while installing them.

R4 19:10 16 Oct 03

Try uninstalling in safe mode, then disable norton and reboot any try install/update.

JIM 19:22 16 Oct 03

let us know your win/os and if it is winxp you should consider a systems restore to about the time you were not having the problems.

If it is new or old,do you have the win/os or recovery disk?

machow 19:29 16 Oct 03

I have Win XP professional. Im not sure how to do a system restore. Do i specify a date somewhere??

VoG II 19:33 16 Oct 03

Start, All programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

You will be presented with a calendar that you use to select the restore point.

machow 21:20 16 Oct 03

have tried to use system restore. it freezes and comes up with program not responding in top of window.

I then restarted comp, twice, and only my desktop wallpaper appeared, but no icons, nothing. There wasnt even a task bar.

Any suggestions??

VoG II 21:38 16 Oct 03

Try repairing XP click here

machow 21:59 16 Oct 03

thanks, ive had a look, but im not sure what to do. to repair it says to reinstall xp from boot?? im pretty useless at this!

VoG II 22:57 16 Oct 03

Boot from the CD

Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…