Can't install usb ports!

WHASSATDO! 17:48 28 Feb 03

Creative computer. AMD K6 processor. 512 MB ram.Windows 98 & no usb ports!! Bought a scanner and found had no usb ports. Installed 2 port usb card (trust) but couldnt get it to work. All I ever got was unknown device in device manager. Installed 4 port usb card with software disc and computer wouldnt even boot up. Only had computer 12 months so relative novice. Know the basics but no expert so please dont baffle me with science. Plug and play my arse! Would appreciate any advice.

MartinT-B 18:15 28 Feb 03

Plug and play is misleading.

1. I assume that P&P is enabled in your bios - you'll know if it is if you have a P&P monitor. 99% of the time it is, but make sure.

2. uninstall all usb drivers previously loaded via add/remove in the control panel. - can be done in safe mode.

3. go to system - either through control panel or via right click on my computer. If there is a yellow question mark highlight it and click the remove device button.

4. reboot PC and have your disk ready.

5. Windows should detect new hardware

6. choose the have disk option when asked. Put the disk into you cd-rom and browse it til you find the folder that says win 9x

7. windows then copies that over to it's database.

8. There may be some back and forth between the CD and your Hardrive. Win 95 and win 98 always gets 'lost' especially if it has to load mulitple drivers (usually Soundcards). you may need to point it to the correct folders using you browse button.

9. cross your fingers!

Good luck

MartinT-B 18:21 28 Feb 03

PS -

safe mode otion can be used throughout if your system is unstable.

If no drivers for USB listed in add/remove (and they may be listed under manufacturer name) don't worry. BUT check for both lots of drivers you may have loaded for both cards.

If you have no yellow question mark, look for USB controller or similar and remove that. MAKE SURE IT'S THE USB DEVICE AND NO OTHER. Will have an icon that is the universal USB one, which looks like a three pronged whatsit on its side! There may be more than one if you have a serious conflict.

MartinT-B 18:22 28 Feb 03

God I hate it when I forget soemthing - sorry.

safe mode used until device removed - CD will not be recohnized in safe mode so you will need to reboot into full windows then, but system should be stable once devices are removed.

WHASSATDO! 18:53 28 Feb 03

Thanks Martin T-B. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. I'm going out on the piss tonight! Don't know whether trying to install usb ports with a hangover is advisable but we'll see.

TBH1 22:12 28 Feb 03

installing USB ports with a hangover is the ONLY way to install USB hubs !!! ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…