Can't install touchpad driver

onthelimit1 17:11 PM 15 Jun 11

NEC laptop, XP Pro. Reinstall after crash. Got everything working except touchpad. It doesn't show in Device Manager. Downloaded the driver from NEC - when I click on the exe file, I get 'DLL could not be opened'. Any ideas please?

chub_tor 18:02 PM 15 Jun 11

You could always try the generic Synaptics driver for XP Click Here

woodchip 19:46 PM 15 Jun 11

Go to Control Panel and then to the Add Hardware Wizard. Let it do a search first. If it does not pick it up you swill need to run it again the select choose from list and have a look through the list

PS touchpad should be under Mice i

woodchip 19:46 PM 15 Jun 11

Go to Control Panel and then to the Add Hardware Wizard. Let it do a search first. If it does not pick it up you swill need to run it again the select choose from list and have a look through the list

PS touchpad should be under Mice in

woodchip 19:48 PM 15 Jun 11

If you see any yellow icons click on them then unistall and reboot

onthelimit1 20:07 PM 15 Jun 11

Thanks - I'll give those a go0 when I've taken the dog out (she who must be obeyed has spoken). No Yellow exclam marks, which is odd.

onthelimit1 20:50 PM 15 Jun 11

Very odd. Add Hardware sees nothing. Nothing in Device Manager except the USB mouse I'm using. Beginning to wonder if the touchpad is U/S?

chub_tor 08:15 AM 16 Jun 11

What model of NEC Laptop do you have? I have read a number of Google articles regarding touchpads not showing in Device Manager, some are hardware related others software. I just wanted to check that you have the correct download from NEC.

chub_tor 08:18 AM 16 Jun 11

You might want to run this utility to see if a touchpad is detected as part of your hardware.

onthelimit1 12:44 PM 16 Jun 11

Thanks C-T. Sorry for delay, but I've been stripping it down to see if the ribbon lead was loose - it wasn't!

Ran that utility - it only saw the mouse I have plugged into the USB port. The model is Versa M 340. The driver I downloaded originally came from their site for that model. Still getting 'DLL cannot be opened' from (what looks like) the .exe file.

woodchip 13:04 PM 16 Jun 11

You may need to do a windows repair to get it working

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED