Can't install software from Toshiba DVD drive

steved 10:02 07 May 03

I've recently replaced my motherboard/CPU/harddrive and upgraded to XP. My DVD drive (a Toshiba SD-M1202, badged as a Creative drive) appears to work correctly - device manager reports no problems, I can play audio cds, view the contents of cd-roms/dvds and copy files from them.

BUT - if I try to INSTALL a program from a cd-rom or dvd in this drive, the installation fails with various error messages, eg "the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on ok to terminate the application". The drive worked fine under my old win98 setup - this first started when I tried to do a clean install of XP onto a formatted hard drive.I had to use my cd writer to install XP and all my software, and of course I can't install anything that's on a dvd.

I guess this must be a hardware problem as it started before I installed XP - I've tried swopping the DVD drive and cd writer on the data cable, but the problem stays with the DVD drive.

Thanks for any suggestions!

i,m sorry icant actually solve the problem but if you can copy the files on thedisc move the setup program to your hard drive and instal from there. have you tried to find a new driver for the drive?

steved 12:26 07 May 03

Thanks horiz5, I have installed a couple of progs like that but obviously it's a lengthy and slow process! As regards drivers, would that make a difference when the problem started before I'd installed XP?

steved 17:09 09 Jun 03

It was the new data cable (one of those fancy round ones) that was at fault - replacing it with the original flat IDE cable solved the problem. So much for progress!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…