Can't install new Radeon Card on my Dell PC

pooch2001 19:29 27 Dec 05

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 and have just bought a PCI Radeon 9250 card so I can do a bit of light gaming. The problem is I can't get the drivers to install. I've run the install off the CD that came with the card and downloaded the latest version from the ATI website but still no joy. Windows says the device is working, but if I boot up connected to the card, nothing come up on the screen. Also in properties when booted up on the onboard graphics I don't get any of the ATI options as shown in the PDF manual. The monitor is showing in properties but I can't change the resolution or colour depth, so I'm assuming it must be drivers. In the install instructions it mentions disabling the existing VGA driver before installing the new one. I'm afraid to do this in case I lose all displays. I need help.

GaT7 20:01 27 Dec 05

If you don't obey the instructions how do you expect it to work? G

bremner 20:05 27 Dec 05

I am assuming there was no graphics card previously - ie it was onboard.

That being the case you will need to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard graphics.

The machine is in effect trying to run with two graphics cards.

pooch2001 20:17 27 Dec 05

I'm a PC novice. I use a mac in work. How do I do the bios thing and should I boot up attached to the new card?

GaT7 20:20 27 Dec 05

bremner, yes the Dell Dimension 2400 has onboard graphics.

pooch2001, you can always re-enable onboard graphics if you disable it. Sorry if I came across a bit harsh in my first post - I didn't mean to be : )) G

pooch2001 20:36 27 Dec 05

I'm sorry to be an idiot but I'm going to need a bit of hand holding to do this.

Do I boot up attched to the new card?

And how do I disable the Bois thing?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:51 27 Dec 05

Boot with onboard graphics

there will be a message on the very first screen "Press ??? to enter setup"
(??? being the key your Dell uses to get into the BIOS Esc - Del - F2 being common ones)

Once in BIOS You will need to move throughthe various menus to find graphics (maybe under advanced settings)

When you have found onbard graphics disable by toggling with the appropriate key (often page up /down)this will be shown on the BIOS screen at the bottom.

With onboard graphics disabled, then save and exit (F10)

plug the monitor into your graphics card and reboot

pooch2001 21:12 27 Dec 05

I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Strawballs 00:19 28 Dec 05

If you can't find the onboard graphics in the bios in some rare cases to diable the onboard graphics you need to change a jumper on the main board itself which if you do not have a manual you will need a magnifying glass to see the writing that is beside the jumpers and look for VGA or similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…