can't install hardware

lisa_gedo 14:59 05 Sep 06

I am having problems installing hardware on my pc, it won't recognise anything even if the installation cd is in.

example: I have an freecom External HD, this give me the error message important installation file missing probably because designed for windows 95 or higher, i am running XP!!!

I don;t appear to have any driver on my pc, someone has had a look and told me that there is files missing of my internal hard drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:11 05 Sep 06

TRy a repir of XP first

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

lisa_gedo 20:42 05 Sep 06

ok tried that link to repair xp....didn't tell me anything....

I tried again to install hardware when repair had finished but got same error

the actual error read: The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry. This may be that the INF was written for windows 95 or later....

someone has also proposed setting the BIOS back to default ???

ICF 20:55 05 Sep 06

What'sthe model number of the External hard drive?

lisa_gedo 21:05 05 Sep 06

doesn't give me a model #.....all's i can tell u is it's a freecom classic series.....

lisa_gedo 21:05 05 Sep 06

i have also tried downloading driver from freecom website but get same message

ICF 21:12 05 Sep 06

Have you tried emailing freecom?
click here

ICF 21:13 05 Sep 06

Sorry you have to set up an account first.They also have a forum.

lisa_gedo 21:15 05 Sep 06

yes.....i have tried that but waiting for reply....

it just seems that everytime i try to connect new hardware i get message could not complete install as no software found thats even if installation cd is in.

I understand if u can;t help....i'll just have to wait for freecom to reply

either that or have hell with goodmans (pc manufacturer) lol

ICF 21:19 05 Sep 06

lisa_gedo said:- "it just seems that everytime i try to connect new hardware i get message could not complete install as no software found"

Are we talking about other pieces of hardware our just one?

ICF 21:19 05 Sep 06

Is the external drive new?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…