Cant hide or remove these

hawthorn59 01:00 09 Feb 06

Hi folks.

Ive just last week reformatted the laptop and everyting is good! Except that I have the following annoyances, which I had before reformatting also, so its nothing to do with that.

These appear in the taskbar, and I dont know how to remove them. I went to Taskbar properties and selected "Always Hide", though that wouldnt actually remove them but at least they wouldnt be annoying me evertime I boot up. Nos. 1,2 and 3 stayed hidden for about 3 days but are back tonight! No 4 which is in icon for a PCLine mouse I installed (iWare setting) wont hide for more than 1 day and usually just for a short while.

My questions; Why wont they stay hidden?
Could I safely remove them?
How would I do that?

Also just wondering what are the 2 internet related ones (1 and 2) ?

Here are the messages i get when I hold the mouse over them.

1 Wireless Network Connection is not connected. Wireless network unavailable.

2 Local Area connection. A network cable is unplugged.

3 Windows Messenger not signed in.

4 Quicktime

Thanks folks

K

terryf 01:27 09 Feb 06

try this click here

Granger 10:56 09 Feb 06

1 and 2 refer to devices in your computer that let you network with other computers or devices. You're obviously not using them, so if you want to get rid of the icons, go Start > Connect to > Show all connections. You should see 1 and 2 listed here. Click on each and choose "Disable this connection". This won't stop you connecting to the internet unless you try to use a wireless router in future. You can reverse this anytime.

Double-click on Quicktime and Messenger and you'll find options in both to not load when Windows starts.

Icons that won't stay hidden are those that are being used alot, like the driver for your mousee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…