Can't hear modem dialling

dm123 11:07 19 Jul 05

An old chestnut I know, but I can't hear the modem dialling the ISP, but it connects OK so there aren't any problems with it.

In device manager the modem speaker volume is set to max and direct x sound is enabled, but I seem to remember something about an AT command in the modem dialling string that turned the sound on or off - can't for the life of me remember what it is or where to find it.

Any ideas? Thanks

Alex-188000 11:09 19 Jul 05

If it connects ok then why do you want the sound on? Justwondering thats all!

Stuartli 11:34 19 Jul 05

Listening to a modem dialling out allows you to ascertain whether everything is in order.

Try these:

click here

click here

click here

iscanut2 11:47 19 Jul 05

In Control Panel, Phone/Modem, select your modem and look at Properties. Select Modem, Properties, Advanced and then look at Extra Settings. If you see atm0 in the text box, try removing this as this setting keeps the modem quiet when dialling. I think the defaul is atx0. Worth a try.

dm123 12:06 19 Jul 05

I want to switch the audio on because I'm setting it up for someone who is very new to computers and the internet - the dialling noises are a psychological assurance that something is happening.

I've gone into control panel and modem properties, dialling properties,etc ,etc, but there's no extra settings option under the advanced tab. The machine is using Win98SE with a motorola sm56 internal modem

Graham ® 12:29 19 Jul 05

I get the impression this is an old modem. For the price, you may be better with a new one with its own speaker.

Or click here

(This may post twice!)

iscanut2 17:01 19 Jul 05

With Win98, after choosing properties, select connection tab, then advanced button which should bring you to a dialog with connection settings, including a taext box marked "Extra settings".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…