Cant get into XP - think I know the answer already

SG Atlantis® 20:27 11 Feb 06

but any ideas or suggestions?

I was asked to look at a computer.

It won't boot into XP

It tells you due to an error windows was unable to load correctly.

gives the choices of Safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking, Most recent good configuration that worked or boot windows normally.

It won't go into any of them, just gets into the process of loading files and stops dead and sits with a blank screen and no activity.

He has no restore disks whatsoever and his BIOS is password protected, and you guessed it he doesn't know the password.

He said his 11yr old daughter downloaded off someone on messenger...

On top of this my guess is the XP install is a pirate one. He said a guy charged him £90 last year to upgrade from ME to XP, he wasn't given any disks or license keys.

He doesn't know where the guy lives now or how to contact him.

He's stuffed ain't he?

Totally-braindead 20:32 11 Feb 06

The only thing I can think of is, if its already set to boot from CD and you use your copy of XP to boot from you could attempt a repair.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:35 11 Feb 06

Can you d/l a set of boot floppies and see if they work. click here is how to bypass the BIOS password.

G

SG Atlantis® 20:35 11 Feb 06

I have a Compaq so no XP disk, I don't think it's set to boot from cd as the LED on the drives don't flash with activity when the computer is turned on.

surfsteruk 20:37 11 Feb 06

If you have a disk of your own, you could try and use the Recovery Console to repair or replace and missing or currupt files.

Put the xp disk in the cd-rom drive and boot from it. There should be an option to use recovery console by pressing R

SG Atlantis® 20:46 11 Feb 06

I'll pass this info on and see what he says, he works with my dad so I'll phone them tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…