Can't get wired home network working

Marsh2015 21:15 16 Feb 15

Hi all,

I've just moved into a new flat, which has BT infinity installed along with a number of ethernet network ports next to it in the cupboard. There are five ethernet ports on the wall in the cupboard, but as far as I can see, only 3 phone line points and one ethernet point in the rooms in the flat.

After tinkering for a while, I've managed to work out that if I connect the BT router, via an ordinary ethernet cable, directly to one of the points in the cupboard, and my laptop to the point in the lounge then the my windows laptop will recognise that there is a network there, but will 'unidentified network' and the IP address using DHCP does not match the network, and no matter what I do in terms of setting a static IP address, the computer can't access the internet.

Worth adding that if I connect the router to any of the other ports in the cupboard, the laptop doesn't find anything at all.

Am I missing a step where there needs to be something in-between the BT home hub and the ports on the wall? Or a different cable to the standard ethernet?

Any ideas?

Marsh2015 21:26 16 Feb 15
  Secret-Squirrel 09:39 17 Feb 15

Andrew, the Home Hub needs to be connected to the BT master socket using an RJ11 cable - click on the links to see the images. Thereafter you can connect the Home Hub to one of the Ethernet ports in your flat to get wired networking available throughout.

If you can't find the master socket then is this a new flat that you've bought or are you renting it? If it's the latter then you need to get in touch with your landlord.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac