Can't get Windows (XP) Task Manager to stay up

splinternet 22:48 24 Oct 05

Just noticed a problem today for the first time. If I ctrl-alt-del and select the Windows Task Manager, it seems to launch ok but closes down within a couple of seconds. However, in those few seconds , I noticed the cpu was running at 50% or more, which is odd as I'm basically doing nothing. (does task manager use this much processing power at launch?)

lotvic 23:20 24 Oct 05

It could be a virus. What anti virus prog are you using?

splinternet 23:47 24 Oct 05

I use McAfee VirusScan, but noticed the On-Access Scan feature was disabled, and it won't enable. I also noticed ZoneAlarm wasn't running (strange as it comes up automatically when I boot up), I only use the Firewall option in this but switched on Virus protection and it immediately found win32.hostblock which is now quarantined. However, this hasn't solved the Task Mgr problem (and I still can't enable McAfee on access scan).

MAJ 05:36 25 Oct 05

It's a question that has been asked before, splinternet, and on both occasions it has been a program running in the background that was causing the problem, that would seem to be borne out by your CPU usage. On one occasion the culprit was Winguard Pro and the other it was Chatwatch.

splinternet 09:43 25 Oct 05

Without Task Manager, is there any other way of viewing running processes?

alan227 09:48 25 Oct 05
  splinternet 11:34 25 Oct 05

Alan227 - I can't install MS Antispyware. When the installation process starts, it gets booted off just like Task Manager. I've scanned my system for viruses (using ZoneAlarm), and spyware (using both ZoneAlarm and SpySweeper) so I'm confident it's clean.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…